Another guy lost his life

A miserable statement about a miserable industry.

Lying about safety for the sake of pushing drugs must be one of the most harmful of villainous enterprises in modern times. It’s so easy to get away with because it’s so hard to prove.

Please let me trade this miserable life in exchange for getting ripped-off on volcano insurance instead.

@vik1990, have you heard anything recently from the family of the victim you were acquainted with?
I hope you have left any guilt over what a pharmaceutical company did to this guy behind you.

4 Likes

I agree with every single word you said. What I still don’t understand is how it is possible that I used to believe taking prescriptions drugs was in fact a good thing – because, I thought, I was either improving myself or preventing a disease in the future. I really believed in scientific papers and in medicine in general.

I was also so naive about human nature. I thought most people were good, moral and ethical and that a pharma company would never put out a drug they knew was dangerous let alone harmful. Needless to say I believed the assurances and recommendations of regulators, scientific bodies, medical associations, etc. Why didn’t any adult tell me the truth about homo sapiens and the world when it actually mattered… that’s what I want to know.

Before I got PFS, my life was all but destroyed by antidepressants, which I voluntarily took for 10 years because I thought I was better off on them (and because I believed what I was reading in the literature). I know a couple of other people in my life who were either destroyed or severely damaged by antidepressants, as well as many examples of damage from other drugs.

My mother took Fosamax for osteoporosis and had a hip fracture, which ironically is a known side effect of the drug that is supposed to strengthen your bones. A child in my extended family was misdiagnosed with epilepsy and was most likely brain-damaged from phenobarbital which he took for years in a critical period of brain development as a toddler to prevent seizures.

Someone else I know has every disease known to mankind in all systems and organs of the body as a result of medications for metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, conditions she would have been able to entirely prevent and control with lifestyle modifications had doctors told her that 20 years ago. She is now on at least 15 different drugs, most of which combat the damages done from the others. I can keep going…

2 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to mention my father is a total wreck due to a mix of defoliants that the US government lied about, medical negligence on the part of his GP in treating obvious diabetes unchecked for 5 years that probably resulted from that exposure, a possibly botched heart surgery where they seemingly forgot to turn on his oxygen supply for a time, and the massive cocktail of drugs he is on now.

In all honesty, I know of 2 people who beat diabetes through diet changes and was told my father could have reversed his by giving up high-carb meals.

Double forgot to mention all of the good guys turned into drug addicts in my region by Perdue’s oxycontin, the prescription smack that’s supposedly less addictive than vicodin, according to the FDA’s parroting of the manufacturer’s lies.

2 Likes

On the other hand, I am very close with someone who was saved from a life in a wheelchair by a monoclonal antibody for MS. Very different when the risk vs benefit is truly life and death with no reasonable alternatives.

2 Likes

I get that you’d feel naturally crushed by guilt from this. But please, know that this was not your fault. You must make peace with this situation. Don’t beat yourself up over something that was not of your control. A multi-national, being what it is, chose to place profits over patients. Focus on letting go of stress and healing yourself.

Yet life saving drugs from cancer drugs to something simple like insulin have their prices grotesquely driven up due to inelastic demand thanks to a profit model of healthcare. I can’t imagine denouncing companies in a vacuum without denouncing the former.