Brain fog (damage) thread

Are you freakin kidding me i dont see how any cd can help us, maybe in a mild type anxiety but not in my case.Unfortunately its far more complex than that, this has to do with fucked up neurotransmitters and brain chemicals.I wish it was that easy to listen to a cd and feel better within a week.What kind of mental issues did you have??

alpha-stim.com/the-alpha-stim-scs/

This might (if you can afford it) be a good alternative method towards managing the condition, but I’m not sure about healing yourself with it.
I have listened to sounds of nature recordings with great result’s, or when i had terrible insomnia, and it works well. However, I never healed just managed to sleep better with relaxing my mind somewhat with soothing sound therapy. I am to this day really bothered by noise, such as a person who wakes me up with heavy footed stomping or heavy walking (I sleep on the ground floor) and upstairs walking around wakes me, and drives me crazy, where I have to really calm myself down when this happens. I reach for my head phones and let the relaxing, steady sounds put me back to sleep. I also can’t stand noisy restaurants, where I usually always ask to be reseated to a very quiet section when with friends.

Being open to things that don’t require medication is a must…might not be for some folks here, but stay open minded! Thanks.

My bad i thought this was one of the cds like the linden method.So how does this work does it affect dopamine or serotonin?Yeah the price is obviously way too high but maybe i can find it on ebay lol.

You are only supposed to be able to get it with a prescription, but I was able to get one by luck. One was on ebay for a few hours and I was able to get it before ebay cancelled the auction. It’s an amazing gadget. I was as bad as anyone here, couldn’t stay in a conversation without zoning out, couldn’t remember anything, even things that happened the same day, kept making embarrassing mistakes at work, etc. First time I used the alpha stim my “mashed potato brain syndrome” improved 50%, second time another 25% and by the end of a couple of weeks I was cured of all cognitive problems. My only issues left are sexual issues and emotional now.

Yes we need everyone with “mashed potatoes for brains” to post here. This is an extremly alarming reaction (not a side effect as its all i can think about, i cant get away from it).

Listen, gentlemen, I think we should all focus on the purpose and the goal of this thread. Describe, to the best of your abilities, the cognitive effects this drug has caused you to suffer from.

Please keep it sincere and focused gentlemen. Even though many of us are not as eloquently gifted, as an H.P. Lovecraft was, let’s do our best to stick to describing this frightful phenomenon. Perhaps, my mashed potato of a brain analogy was far too crude…
I will stick with permanent ongoing cognitive disruption. Tim, with his above quote, is spot on; it is all you can think about every single waking minute of the day; thus should not be viewed as a side effect. An alarming ongoing frightening condition. It is far more frightening than what Joetz described, at least in my case, as mine closely resemble the other posters conditions. Please keep this thread on point.
I, for one, would love to read what other member’s with mental issues are experiencing, and really encouraging them to describe it.

I want to challenge you guy’s into not thinking like the general public and merck—do not mention depression or anxiety if at all possible.
I’m sure more than 80% of men with mental issue’s are not depressed or anxious, but rather in an ongoing dream state of warped reality. This is also good for the upcoming lawsuit. Describing this condition well, is to our advantage gentleman. It’s alot more serious than depression or anxiety, as it’s an ongoing condition, which your fully conscious of at all times.

I encourage you all to read up on traumatic brain injury, and the stories of men with this problem. Listen to what they have to say about their new reality.

Don’t give the corporate merck poison pushing profiteering wankers the pleasure in disregarding us as merely depressed or anxious!

This thread should also be an exercise in acting out, at what I view, as somewhat of a disregard towards us.

Tim and the rest. I encourage you to read this excerpt from an important research paper below. I think you can still download it on this forum somewhere. You might get an idea of why we can’t metabolize caffeine and alchohol like we used to and maybe a hint at why our minds are altered… Read on and see what this poison had potentially done to alter our brain chemistry…below is just an excerpt of the entire research journal article.

“A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride.”

• Finn DA, Beadles-Bohling AS, Beckley EH, Ford MM, Gililland KR, Gorin-Meyer RE, Wiren KM.
    Source

Finasteride is the first 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that received clinical approval for the treatment of human benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss). These clinical applications are based on the ability of finasteride to inhibit the Type II isoform of the 5alpha-reductase enzyme, which is the predominant form in human prostate and hair follicles, and the concomitant reduction of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). In addition to catalyzing the rate-limiting step in the reduction of testosterone, both isoforms of the 5alpha-reductase enzyme are responsible for the reduction of progesterone and deoxycorticosterone to dihydroprogesterone (DHP) and dihydrodeoxycorticosterone (DHDOC), respectively. Recent preclinical data indicate that the subsequent 3alpha-reduction of DHT, DHP and DHDOC produces steroid metabolites with rapid non-genomic effects on brain function and behavior, primarily via an enhancement of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic inhibitory neurotransmission. Consistent with their ability to enhance the action of GABA at GABA(A) receptors, these steroid derivatives (termed neuroactive steroids) possess anticonvulsant, antidepressant and anxiolytic effects in addition to altering aspects of sexual- and alcohol-related behaviors. Thus, finasteride, which inhibits both isoforms of 5alpha-reductase in rodents, has been used as a tool to manipulate neuroactive steroid levels and determine the impact on behavior. Results of some preclinical studies and clinical observations with finasteride are described in this review article. The data suggest that endogenous neuroactive steroid levels may be inversely related to symptoms of premenstrual and postpartum dysphoric disorder, catamenial epilepsy, depression, and alcohol withdrawal.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16834758

Gentlemen, focus on these two important bit’s of imformation coutesy of VA drug research, lab mice and Deborah A. Finn…this woman could be a key player in the upcoming lawsuit for us mentally alterered lot. She has literally spelled it out for us!

1.) Recent preclinical data indicate that the subsequent 3alpha-reduction of DHT, DHP and DHDOC produces steroid metabolites with rapid non-genomic effects on brain function and behavior, primarily via an enhancement of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)ergic inhibitory neurotransmission. Consistent with their ability to enhance the action of GABA at GABA(A) receptors, these steroid derivatives (termed neuroactive steroids) possess anticonvulsant, antidepressant and anxiolytic effects in addition to altering aspects of sexual- and alcohol-related behaviors. Thus, finasteride, which inhibits both isoforms of 5alpha-reductase in rodents, has been used as a tool to manipulate neuroactive steroid levels and determine the impact on behavior.

2.) The data suggest that endogenous neuroactive steroid levels may be inversely related to symptoms of premenstrual and postpartum dysphoric disorder, catamenial epilepsy, depression, and alcohol withdrawal.

In regards to the above article I just posted. Read up on the symptom’s of alchohol withdrawal syndrome----could finasteride have altered our brains to resemble someone with alchohol withdrawal syndrome?

With myself personally, it’s possible…I have had my cognitive problems either get better or worse with alchohol or caffeine. I also heard of a guy on this forum who cured his ‘finasteride induced mental conditon’ with a weekend of non stop drinking. Hasn’t worked for me, and I have tried everything. Interestingly enough, Magnesium in foods such as Spinach, has had a an immediate positive impact on alleviating this symptom. Read that magnesium is also used to treat people with alchohol withdrawal syndrome. Do our mind’s now resemble that of a recovering alchoholic’s now? You be the judge. Read on…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal_syndrome

The argument for chemically induced Dysphoria anyone?
"Dysphoria can also be chemically induced by some commonly used psychoactive drugs, such as typical and atypical antipsychotics.[2] ugghh…anyone leave out Finasteride?

Doctor Finn, did mention that Finasteride’s effect on altering steroid metabolite’s in a person(rat in this case), would resemble that of anti-depressent usage in an individual, which is a type of psychoactive drug-ssri effect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphoria

“these steroid derivatives (termed neuroactive steroids) possess anticonvulsant, antidepressant and anxiolytic effects in addition to altering aspects of sexual- and alcohol-related behaviors. Thus, finasteride, which inhibits both isoforms of 5alpha-reductase in rodents, has been used as a tool to manipulate neuroactive steroid levels and determine the impact on behavior.”

My cognitively impaired friends on this forum, we owe alot to Miss Deborah A. Finn, for this incredible research and conclusion. We actually have someone who documented and studied the behavioral cognitive effect’s on Finasteride usage. I understand that the information I just posted to this thread, has nothing to do with describing what we feel or in describing our illness, but this info. I added, might give you some insight into our problems.

I once tried describing my intense bout’s with ‘finasteride induced mental impairment’ to some close family members as such; like trying to drive home drunk, intoxicated or under the influence.

If PFS sufferers with cognitive problems had physical brain damage, would it not show up on an EEG or MRI? I’m not trying to be a smart ass, I’m just curious, because as long as there isn’t irreparable structural damage, then whatever is going on in our brains should ultimately be reversible.

We are NOT talking about physical or ‘actual’ brain damage here, but it can feel like brain damage to us sufferers. Please sympathize and respect that.
It is a unfortunate and horrific state to be in, and to feel as if you are not the same, or have never returned to earth, like after some LSD acid trip. All this from a hair loss drug?! Can you imagine how traumatizing this can be for previously healthy men? Then made to feel disregarded, disrespected like illegal drug users, that never came back down from their high’s?! How about people just calling you depressed when you are not?! Some chemically induced mania’s have never been reversed. This is well documented. Do the research. It wound definitely NOT show up in an mri or any brain scan. The most recent information I added to this thread, concerned altered ‘neuro-chemistry’ or ‘neuro-active steroidal’ imbalances possibly affecting the many, with just, or predominantly mental side’s. Have you read through this thread?

This is a thread that encourages us ‘cognitively impaired sufferers’ to describe this agonizing and torturous condition. Brain fog just does not cut it with me man! I’ve never criticized anyone here, by stating that it’s impossible for your ‘penis to be literally disconnected from your brain’ or from your body. That would disrespect the sufferer. People are allowed here to express themselves as they like, and are encouraged to do just that.

This is not a thread about actual brain damage.

Robertino totti, mew has recently posted information about allopregnenolone (neurosteroid directly inhibited by fin) and Multiple Sclerosis.

viewtopic.php?p=44486#p44486

The mental symptoms sucked big time for me but were bearable when I had a beautiful girlfriend. She left me 6 months ago and my body has not been the same since.

Still no emotions, but now I feel like I could go insane and lose my mind at any second. Suicide is always on my mind. Nothing feels real and all my senses are dulled. I can barely see in poorly lit rooms, my hearing is fucked with constant tinnitus, and my body doesn’t feel like it belongs to me. Nothing seems real a lot of the time.

My body cracks like hell and I’m no where near as strong as I used to be 2 years ago. No motivation to even brush my teeth it’s so strange.

The very worst part is being unable to feel connections with people. I can’t feel any empathy or anything! I feel doomed at ever finding a meaningful relationship again.

You have just described exactly how i am Heyder. The minute i lost my girlfriend i started to feel doomed as well.

The physical and mental portions of the brain are intimately linked. The brain is constantly rearranging it’s physical self when we, for example, learn new things. Though we may not be able to understand it through medical science - due to insufficient technology or lack of a baseline measurement - it doesn’t mean that the brain or essential nerve connections have not been damaged. Finasteride crosses the blood brain barrier and, if Alex Miller is correct, directly damaged the nervous system of which the brain is the biggest part.

I, too, have noticed that I feel less inclined to want to take a shower, brush my teeth, and wear clean clothes…

I lost my University of Phoenix job after 3 and 1/2 years of being a full-time employee, due to my tardiness; I kept showing up late for work, because I took forever to get ready to leave.

I have been told many times by my roommate that I do not answer him promptly, like I used to; his brother came to visit for about a month and, also, told me the same thing. Sometimes I do not feel the need to answer people immediately, despite being raised to do so in a prompt manner.

I, too, feel that things will speed by me.

Aside from the obvious sexual side effects, these mental side effects are life altering!

I stumbled across a great thread googling ‘allopregnanolone finasteride’. Basically a bunch of guys with mental health disorders that are all confessing to taking high dosages of finasteride. I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole reason they have anxiety/ depression is because of finasteride!

benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=18353.0

You can also see this in the thread

“He said that he would consider reinstating the finasteride after recovery, but that it should be done carefully. He does not have issues with other remedies (rogaine, nizoral, saw palmetto, etc) but he said that we should be very careful and introduce them one at a time to make sure we are not hurting ourselves.”

Our very own Dr. Jacobs apparently happy to let these guys go back on finasteride

So I’m one of the unlucky people here with very blunted emotions. Nothing seems real a lot of the time. It takes a lot to make me feel alive. My central nervous system doesn’t go off the way it used to.

I can’t be scared… Rides at the fair don’t cause the reaction they used too… even free falling from 200 feet did nothing.

I have recently read a book : The power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

It made me realize I don’t have the ability to bring myself into the present. I am always in my head! I can’t feel real! I’ve been reading a lot of law of attraction stuff as well. I have great difficulty visualizing things as well.

Meditation and focusing on my chakras is damn near impossible. It as if my body is only 30 percent attached to me.

Anyone else notice this?

Good find.

I have this feeling that my brain has been wrapped in cling film, my body and brain are no longer one, not connected.
It has absolutely ruined my quality of life. Erectile function means very little to me, i have bigger problems if you know what i mean.

Yes. I also have this problem. Up and down. You are not alone man.