Supplementing Vitamin D

Maybe your body is metabolizing it faster then it did when it was first introduced to your system because now it’s there, where before it wasn’t. I highly doubt one week at 15-20K iu got your reserves up to where they need to be. I would keep supplementing and see what happens. It can only help.

BTW, I’m still experiencing the same positive results that I had in the very beginning, and I’ve been using 15K iu for almost the past month. I’m not ever gonna stop takin it.

thats because your magnesium levels get screwed with high amounts of d3,take some and you should be fine.

Does that mean that everyone needs more magnesium in the summer time? Where did you get that info from BigMike? I haven’t read anything like that yet…

I don’t think I’m metabolizing it at all. In fact when I go number 2 I see the oil floating on top of the toilet water now, so I don’t think my body is even taking it in. I definitely agree the body has not filled up the reserves.

Any idea on how to get it into the body if it’s going right through the digestive tract?

I’ll try supplementing with mag when I can BigMike. If I remember correctly the first time I supplemented with magnesium I got a really positive reaction that too tapered off in about 3 days… :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wow…The only thing I can think of to help your body properly absorb nutrients would be to change your diet, or take digestive enzymes. What type of diet do you have?

It’s close to the hunter/gatherer diet except when traveling. Lots of meats, fruits, vegetables, fish, dairy, kefir, and eggs. Nuts I can’t digest. I eat a lot of raw foods when I can, veggies, fruits, some meats, but I need the cooked meats too. I don’t tolerate sugar, caffeine, alcohol, or breads.

I tried taking digestive enzymes for a while, HCL and pancreatic enzymes, they didn’t do anything. It’s really strange because it works for a few days when I try something new and it’s like my body recognizes it as a bad substance and kicks it out…

Your diet seems pretty solid aside from the dairy.

How about exercise? Do you?

Guys can we try and keep this thread on topic… perhaps consider PM from this point forward?

I thought it was on topic. I had a great reaction to Vitamin D until the body rejected it, or rather is no longer digesting it. Will PM going forward.

However if anyone has further suggestion or experience with Vitamin D going straight through their body please let me know! I would like my body to start absorbing it again. It did feel like a legit cure when it worked in most if not all areas except only minor increase in libido…

BTW yes I am taking the Vitamin D with fats.

Are you taking it with fats, or alone?
It’s fat soluble so it makes sense to take it with fats.

Hey cdnuts,
I read it on some website about a guy complaining about having ED and fatigue after taking high doses .This is the reply he got from the chick that runs the site.

easy-immune-health.com/vitam … ction.html

I’ve come across that site before. It’s just some chick who decided to build a site built it site. I’d want to see some real evidence with real references before I started doing anything different. It could be true, but I haven’t had the time to do my own research yet.

This is a hypothetical, but considering that Vitamin D receptors belong to the same nuclear receptor family as steroid receptors, maybe VDRs are malfunctioning in addition to the androgen receptors? Just a thought.

I did a bit of reading up on vitamin d supplementation and magnesium as it keeps getting brought up but nobody seems to be sure about the dosage of magnesium to the dosage of vitamin d3. I came across the site below, i’m not sure how legit the info is but it’s all referenced so you can decide for yourselves, but the information contained seems pretty good.

After reading this i think you would probably need to be supplementing about 500-700 mg of magnesium per day as well as calcium (which would vary depending on the amount of dairy in your diet) if you are supplementing vitamin d3

westonaprice.org/The-Miracle … min-D.html

here are some choice excerpts:

The Right Fats

The assimilation and utilization of vitamin D is influenced by the kinds of fats we consume. Increasing levels of both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids in the diet decrease the binding of vitamin D to D-binding proteins. Saturated fats, the kind found in butter, tallow and coconut oil, do not have this effect. Nor do the omega-3 fats.66 D-binding proteins are key to local and peripheral actions of vitamin D. This is an important consideration as Americans have dramatically increased their intake of polyunsaturated oils (from commercial vegetable oils) and monounsaturated oils (from olive oil and canola oil) and decreased their intake of saturated fats over the past 100 years.

In traditional diets, saturated fats supplied varying amounts of vitamin D. Thus, both reduction of saturated fats and increase of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats contribute to the current widespread D deficiency.

Trans fatty acids, found in margarine and shortenings used in most commercial baked goods, should always be avoided. There is evidence that these fats can interfere with the enzyme systems the body uses to convert vitamin D in the liver.80

Vitamin D Therapy

Supplementation is safe as long as sarcoidosis, liver or kidney disease is not present and the diet contains adequate calcium, magnesium and other minerals.

Adequate calcium and magnesium, as well as other minerals, are critical parts of vitamin D therapy. Without calcium and magnesium in sufficient quantities, vitamin-D supplementation will withdraw calcium from the bone and will allow the uptake of toxic minerals. Do not supplement vitamin D and do not sunbathe unless you are sure you have sufficient calcium and magnesium to meet your daily needs. Weston Price suggested a minimum of 1,200-2,400 mg of calcium daily. Research suggests that 1,200-1,500 mg is adequate as a supplement for most adults, both men and women. (Magnesium intake should be half that of calcium.)

Two excellent sources of calcium in the human diet are dairy products and bone broths.2 If the diet does not contain sufficient amounts, you will need to add supplements.

Toxicity Issues

Abnormally high levels of vitamin D are indicated by blood levels exceeding 65 ng/ml or 162 nmol/l for extended periods of time and may be associated with chronic toxicity. Levels of 200-300 nmol/l or higher have been seen in several studies using supplementation and quickly resolve when supplementation is stopped. In such cases no long-term problems have been found. Long-term supplementation, without monitoring, may have serious consequences.

Dr. Vieth suggests that critical toxicity may occur at doses of 20,000 IU daily and that the Upper Limit (UL) of safety be set at 10,000 IU, rather than the current 2,000 IU. While this may or may not be the definitive marker for safety in healthy persons with no active liver or kidney disease, there is no clinical evidence that long-term supplementation needs to be greater than 4,000 IU for optimal daily maintenance. This level would be somewhat lower when combined with exposure to UV-B.3;76

Does any body knows how Vit D increase T_level?

From what I’ve read it either from increasing cholesterol (cholesterol-and-health.com/V … holesterol)

Or because it’s a SERM it mediates the estrogen negative feedback loop (ergo-log.com/vitamindantioestrogen.html).

But no one seems to know for sure.
I mean there are Vitamin D receptors in the testis as well, but what they do is anyones guess at the moment.

Before starting vit D I was in very bad state. Unable to walk o due to pain in my heels and toes, even sometimes swelling, after sarting 4000IU/day I feel great even see some redness in my hands. My hands had become yellowish (low iron?) after SP due to low T. Vit D also increased quality of erection to a great deal. It also improved my quality of sleep and anxiety. My balls are now round and firm most of the time where as before were weired shaped.
If I do in future TRT I will do Vit D and HCG.

sps

I found out i was very low on vit D: 28 range: 75-250

Best thing is i find info linking vitamin D deficiency to may 2 major side effect. Fatigue and IBS.

If those 2 could be fixed by vit D i wouldent touch trt or any other drug. This is really good news. Im starting 8000iu tomorrow.

I’m bringin this one back from the dead with an update:

As BigMike and others had mentioned earlier in this thread, Magnesium should be taken in conjuction with high Vit D3 supplementation. I’ve finally found time do some of my own research and when I was through, I decided to start supplementation with a product called Magtab, which is a highly absorbably form of magnesium.

I’m happy to report that this combo is great. I was either burning through my stores of it due to my high supplementation with Vit D, which, btw, is down to 5k iu for the summer, or I was just deficient. I think the Vit D supps had something to do with it. I noticed after a couple months that I was starting to get twitches in my calves again (something that had been gone for quite some time) and when I stretched in bed in the morning my calves would knot up in horrible charlie horses. These are classic symptoms of low Mag. This is what spurred my research.

Anyway, upon starting it didn’t take long for me to start feeling the effects. Within a couple days the twitches and charlie horses went away, and I just feel better overall. It’s hard to quantify, but things just feel more real. I feel like I’m more into life and not just coasting through. It seems to have a good synergy with the Vit D and with these two together, I feel a bit more calm and relaxed then when I was just taking the D alone.

It seems that anyone supplementing with high D3 would benefit from adding in magnesium to their regimine. I take my D3 in the morning and my Mag at night with dinner, as magnesium is touted to have relaxing properties, which I can attest to.

CD and the board: Do you think it would benefit us to actually test for metals like magnesium (and copper, and zinc, and any other toxic metal) before actually supplementing - ala letsconveinience? Via hair or blood test? Though magnesium might make you feel better, putting more metal into the body if there (might) already be an excess could make things more complicated.